Recent News
  • April 25May 23 - Graduation & Last day of school
  • April 25May 1 - Senior College Shirt Group Picture
  • April 25May 9 - 12th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 8 - 11th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 7 - 10th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 6 - 9th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 3 - Powderpuff Football Game
  • April 25Apr. 27 - Junior and Senior Prom
  • April 24Apr. 25 - IB exams begin
  • March 29Mar 31. - Apr. 7: MCS closed for spring break
The #1 News Source of Marietta High School

The Pitchfork

The Pitchfork

The Pitchfork

Tennis complex dedicated in the name of Love

On Thursday, February 8, 2024, the ten Marietta High School tennis courts were dedicated to Coach Cheryl Love. Coach Love took the girl’s tennis team to the state championships during the 1990 tennis season. The 1990 tennis season was the first time Marietta had ever gone to the state championships and won. She was the girl’s tennis coach for 43 years, retiring in 2010. Like most high schools in Georgia, Coach Love is also why Marietta has ten tennis courts instead of eight.

“I played tennis throughout high school and was co-captain my senior year, so I got to know Coach Love well. She was super tough, making us run laps when we messed up. She was also so kind and made such a united, fun team. When I contacted my former teammates about this, everyone had great things to say about our time with her. We have had a great turnout today from all different generations that she has affected,” Jamie Patrick, former tennis player, said.

“It was inspiring to hear from a coach who has done so much for our program. She inspires our whole team to make it to state and win,”  Carolina Hanson (12) said.

Even players who weren’t on Coach Love’s winning state team respect her greatly. Following the celebration, the girls’ varsity team played a match against Sprayberry, claiming victory. Some could say that it was Coach Love’s motivation.

“It was our senior year; she could be stern and had rules to follow. She also has a loving heart, and you know she cares about you as a person. She had a lot of expectations, but there was also a lot of love [ironically] for her players. She showed up for you on and off the courts, which showed throughout the team.” Traci Moore Shropshire, state championship player, said.

No one in Marietta can doubt Coach Love’s impact on the tennis program. She did and still does continue to impact people’s lives, and this dedication is one small thing that Marietta can do to thank Coach Love.