Recent News
  • April 25May 23 - Graduation & Last day of school
  • April 25May 1 - Senior College Shirt Group Picture
  • April 25May 9 - 12th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 8 - 11th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 7 - 10th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 6 - 9th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 3 - Powderpuff Football Game
  • April 25Apr. 27 - Junior and Senior Prom
  • April 24Apr. 25 - IB exams begin
  • March 29Mar 31. - Apr. 7: MCS closed for spring break
The #1 News Source of Marietta High School

The Pitchfork

The Pitchfork

The Pitchfork

School Resource Officers and Safety Protocols

Photo by Reagan Kelley

According to the Washington Post, in the past year 1,150 guns were seized on school campuses. This is roughly six guns a day. But this problem is not just in other states and districts, it has been brought to Marietta High School. 

In the last six months, three guns have been found on Marietta High School property. No situations escalated, and the offenders were detained by the official procedures, school administration, and school resource officers. 

On May 18, a former student was found walking around  school property and was escorted  out by administration; when he did not leave campus as instructed,  an SRO approached the suspect and performed a search, where they found the loaded gun and took him into custody. 

On Aug. 24, a student brought a loaded handgun to school in his backpack. He showed the gun to another student who promptly alerted an assistant principal. The school was placed on hold while the SROs took the student into custody. 

At the homecoming game, on Oct. 13, another gun was found.  Athletic administration followed screening procedures at the entrance gate and notified game security of a former student who was not allowed on campus. He was searched, the gun was found, and he was also taken into custody. 

All three of these situations required immediate action to keep  students safe, and the procedures in place played a key role in the safety of all students. 

Even though the students were kept safe in these situations, there was still concern from students, staff and the community. Due to these situations, parents took to social media to talk about concerns. Several said that the school needs to invest in metal detectors. Although this could help combat the issue, it would be nearly impossible to implement. 

“For the stadium it might be good, but for this school we have a lot of doors and people would man these all the time. It would be a slow process,” Officer Cannon said. 

Marietta High School has 62 entrances to the school, and having people man all the entrances would not be a possible solution.  

The main priority of the SROs  are to keep the school as safe and secure as possible, and they work within our district and in conjuction with the Marietta City Police Department to develop proper protocol and conduct regular safety assessments. In each situation, because protocol was followed, nothing escalated from the incidents.

Although these situations are extremely scary and concerning, they are very important reminders to report anything unusual and unsettling. Both Superintendent 

SROs monitor over 2,500 students over four lunch shifts in the cafeteria every day. Photo by Reagan Kelley

Officer Cannon

Do you think the safety procedures currently in place are working?

“I think so because we are doing our due diligence.”

Is there a rule or law that requires you to make a public statement about guns or threats?

“I don’t think so. The one in August made the media because we did a hold, but it was a good thing becuase the parents need to know we are keeping the school safe.” 

What is punishment for guns on campus? 

Expulsion, arrested and charges.

What is a deciding factor on a credible versus non-credible threat? 

Everything is treated as a viable threat. Then we bring extra 

resources and enforcement and even use cyber analysts to 

determine credibility of the threat.

What is punishment for making a threat about school 

shooting?

That is considered a terroristic threat. It is a felony. Expulsion 

and straight to Youth Detention Center.