Recent News
  • April 25May 23 - Graduation & Last day of school
  • April 25May 1 - Senior College Shirt Group Picture
  • April 25May 9 - 12th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 8 - 11th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 7 - 10th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 6 - 9th Grade Awards Night
  • April 25May 3 - Powderpuff Football Game
  • April 25Apr. 27 - Junior and Senior Prom
  • April 24Apr. 25 - IB exams begin
  • March 29Mar 31. - Apr. 7: MCS closed for spring break
The #1 News Source of Marietta High School

The Pitchfork

The Pitchfork

The Pitchfork

Student athletes commit on National Signing Day

Photo by Polleen Coates
Morgan Wingo (12) signs her commitment to Bethune Cookman University, accompanied by her family. She will play volleyball at the school.

National Signing Day takes place on the first Wednesday of February for student athletes to commit to playing at the collegiate level. It is a milestone day for coaches, classmates, family and friends to witness a select group of athletes receive recognition from universities and colleges.

Signing day is a massive investment in their athletic foundation where they can advance in their skills and reach for their future goals.

Marietta held a ceremony for our senior students and their teammates in the MPAC while the rest of the school watched via livestream. Coach McKinney, Athletic Director of Marietta oversees all sports and

was proud to host the event and see students in athletics purpose their sport into the collegiate level.

Statistics show that nationally one in three of high school students participate in athletics at their school. Overall a little over seven percent of high school athletes go on to play in collegiate level athletics, that is about one in thirteen students. Only  two percent, approximately 1 in 57, play at the NCAA Division I level.

Not all students that commit to schools after high school are featured on National Signing Day as some offers come in later than February, and it is a huge decision to make with plenty of factors that one has to consider.

Colleges go through an extensive process of finding the best athletes for their school, the process is hard on athletes as they have to communicate consistently, attend plenty of games, and go through intense research for the athlete.  Recruiters show interest in athletes who show key ability in their sport and foresee that individual advancing college athletics in the future.

Being an athlete does not only require being above and beyond at the sport, but a good recruit is a student who exemplifies leadership, adversity, determination, balanced, and plenty more characteristics.

These students should be congratulated for their hard work as they have shown efficient character while balancing academics and athletics. Signing onto a school is a huge commitment and a tremendous help to students to be confident in their abilities and financial needs. Schools offer partial and full-ride scholarships to athletes they want in their organization.

Signing Day is a cumulation of years of dedication, perseverance, and hard work to pursue college. This is the beginning of a new chapter for these students as they embark on a new path in a new environment with new teammates and coaches. Nevertheless, this is a big step into the upcoming journey for the seniors as they deal with emotions of joy and pride. Many sacrifices are made along the way and signing day is just one day where fellow students, teachers, coaches, and family can celebrate the individuals. Sports create a foundation of lifelong friendships, endless opportunities, and personal growth in one’s identity whether it is on or off the field.

Please take a moment to congratulate students who have signed as they have worked hard behind the scenes to have a future pursuing their beloved sport. Those students who are not featured will be in the senior issue of the Pitchfork to be congratulated for their efforts and accomplishments.